Friday, December 17, 2010

Yahoo! Closing a Few Services

Following a layoff announcement, Yahoo! has just announced that it plans to close down a few very popular services such as Delicious, AllTheWeb, Buzz, etc. "Yahoo! to close Delicious" I have used Delicious quite extensive for social bookmarking since 2008. I have thousands of bookmarks with quick notes about several of them that I use every day. In light of this, now I have to migrate my Delicious bookmarks to another service. I was evaluating Google Bookmarks this past summer but now I am forced to make the transition.

I have saved and exported my bookmarks from Delicious but now the task of migrating all my tags and notes will be a bit of a pain. The features and behavior of Google Bookmarks is comparable to Delicious.

This is one aspect of the web, cloud services, and using online services that is a point of frustration for me. This is not the first time I have had to migrate from one online service to another. I thought that Delicous being so popular was well supported by Yahoo! so it should be immune to exactly the type of service interruption that is occurring soon with Yahoo! and Delicious. So this time, maybe Google Bookmarks will stick around for at least another 20-30 years.

No comments: