Saturday, June 10, 2006

Windows Genuine Advantage Spyware

I need to stand on top of my Microsoft soap box and say a few things about Windows security. I use both Linux, Windows and whatever devices make my digital life more productive and entertaining. Well, if you have not heard, just this past week Microsoft was caught and tagged as the largest spyware source to date. "Microsoft Big Brother". For roughly the past year, all modern Windows PCs have been phoning home every day. This was put into service in July 2005 as the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) service which was required to allow Windows patches to continue working. The true intent of WGA was never revealed by our trusted Big Brother, Microsoft.

The thing that bothers me the most about this is that Microsoft did this for security reasons and used it for some yet unknown reason (marketing) to make using Windows better for everyone. This sounds like a smokescreen to me and makes me wonder about the new integrate security features like anti-spyware Microsoft has embedded into the next version of Windows Vista.

Boy am I glad that I have options and know how to use Linux and other personal computing platforms effectively. As I look to the future, I see a less Windows dependent future for me. At least as far as home computing and entertainment computing and security are concerned. With Linux, Mac and Sony PS3 coming online soon, I think in the near future I will further diversify my personal computing technology architecture and use Windows less. Choices exist, you just have to exercise your right to choose based on good solid information.

No comments: